Johnson County Green Party Business Meeting
August 9th, 2006 5:45 p.m.
Iowa City Public Library, Room B
Holly Hart, facilitator
1) Treasurer's report, sent by Kelley Putman: Holly reported that we have $149.93 in the bank account. We discussed the balance in the state account and the possibility of contributions from the national party.
2) Update on the gubernatorial campaign petition drive: Things look good; if omre signatures are needed, we will be prepared for an emergency call to go out and collect more signatures. [As it was, Daryl Northrop reported soon afterwards that we had 2100+ signatures, which he intended to deliver to the Iowa Auditor's Office Monday August 14th.]
3) Invitation to co-sponsor PeaceFest Iowa 2006:
We agreed to accept this, as in previous years. The Johnson County Green
4) Invitation to participate in the University of Iowa Energy and Sustainability Expo 2006 to be held September 27, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
This event went well last year and is turning
into a bigger event than anticipated this time. The UI Advisory Council
on Energy Conservation has invited Greens to take part. We discussed what
program we might wish to provide in addition to staffing a literature
table. Florence Boos agreed to contact former state senator Beverly Hannon
to see if she would be willing to talk on energy conservation.
[Later that same day, Holly spoke with IAGP co-chair and gubernatorial candidate) Wendy Barth, who brought up the fact that there had been recent screenings of "The End of Suburbia" in Cedar Rapids, after which she had moderated discussions. This too might be another potential activity. - hh].
The University of Iowa planners had also accepted
our suggestion that they might invite Ted Glick, national coordinator
of the Climate Crisis Coalition, to be one of the speakers. Holly will
follow up on this matter. [NOTE - BREAKING NEWS - TED SAYS HE CAN DO IT!]
Holly and Gail Ardery will keep in touch with the University of Iowa
5) We discussed the possibiity of holding a fundraiser for the gubernatorial campaign, and decided to settle for a communal dinner at Thai Flavors in September or October. It was agreed that Florence would contact the new scheduler for the gubernatorial campaign to ask her to help us arrange for this.
6) The chairship of the Johnson County Green Party is currently vacant, and in the absence of current volunteers, members decided to adopt the "hive mind" mode of action, working as a group, which has worked adequately in the past. We will need to find a new name to include as checking account signatory.
The next meeting will be held at the library some evening in the first week of September, at a date and time to be announced.